Sunday, March 22, 2009

Comfort vs. Calling

This morning at church the pastor was talking about how God did not create us to have a comfortable life here on Earth. He called us to go out into the world and be His light and be like Him. He was saying that comfort should not be our ultimate goal here; if given the choice between a completely comfortable life and a harder life, as Christians we shouldn't even have to stop and think about it; that comfort would be off the table. I had to admit to myself that the life of comfort was what attracted me. I felt the pull of "A life of comfort, never having to worry sounds amazing." I really desire that life of comfort where I don't have to work to hard to enjoy life and all it has to offer. I couldn't honestly say that I could choose calling to do God's work over comfort.
This got me to thinking: I've always identified myself as a Christian. Gone to church my whole life, baptized in 7th grade, got really involved in high school. Since that time I've pulled back. My faith is not the driving force in my life. I follow when it's convenient for me. I haven't gotten involved in anything since high school. I just a Sunday attender. I know that something is missing from my life. My spirit just hasn't felt full in a long time and I have a feeling it's because I have been choosing comfort.
So know that I have been woken up and realize that I need to follow my calling I'm left wondering, what is my calling? How do people figure that out? I can't say I've ever really felt the Lord speak to me. And if He does how do I know it's Him and not something else? Any guidance from some of my more spiritually mature friends would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

ARC said...

Praise God that He has opened up your heart to this knowledge! Just keep in mind that God has His own timing, and His will is for you to love Him and love your neighbor. I can understand where you are coming from, but remember that God is calling each of us for something special. Pray about EVERYTHING (every opportunity, for guidance, for support, for wisdom). I'll keep you in my prayers Aly. God's convictions can be so exciting, because they stand for change, so know that God is working in you through this transition so that you will come out stronger and more faithful. Peace to you and Neal. Love ya Aly.
-Adam Conkle

Anonymous said...

I have to start with, I just wrote for the past hour going over all these different subjects between biblical references, life choices, changes, questioning the church, and at the end decided to read your entry again. I realize, I didn't even answer your initial questions so I painfully erased it.

To know your calling that's a big question. I think even pastors question their calling. There's always that nudge in your heart when opportunities come up. You start to wonder, who is working here? Is this God working? Is it me feeling guilty and it's not really God? The way to distinguish it is to pray on it. How do I know it's not Satan in disguise trying to just screw me over?

Remember whatever you choose, it's not meant to be comfortable. But you will be blessed for whatever you choose. You need to pray when these things come up. You'll get your guidance there...probably not a direct answer from heaven saying "this is right" but you'll get your answer.

Since I was in 8th grade, I've been told I would make a great pastor. I have many stories, experiences, and have an extremely strong faith. But I'm hung up on details within the church(es). I've told my testimony to many, and my many non christian friends say they see christianity different because of me.

For some reason I refuse to move forward. Part of it is fear. Part of it is because I can't stand the division of churches, ignorance of God's true message, and there's always that authority issue. These are all excuses. I need to get over it, but I hold onto these excuses to stay comfortable.

You are a great individual, you love children, you have a special connection with them. You have a patience that isn't easily obtained. You have a caring heart. Children are the future of the world, and you can help share with them your faith, you can help them bring the message out into the world. But you also relate with older children (adults). A caring heart can transfer to many different fields. Helping women get back on their feet out of an abusive relationship, job training, feeding the homeless (I've had your baking...I'll go homeless just so I can eat more of it).

You have a ton of talents to share. Your choice of which, when, and where you'll share them. Maybe join a small group, they are great with bouncing ideas off of in a loving nurturing environment that has God's heart in mind.

As I try to regain my heading in my walk with Christ, I wish you the best in yours, maybe we can even help each other on our walks as support.

Becky said...

It is pretty simple... ministry is relationships. Loving the people you serve. I served in the highs school ministry for 9 years because I absolutely loved high school kids.

Where do you see yourself relating best? Small group, other women, children, singing, teens, etc?

There is no harm in giving anything a try. But when you find something you enjoy remember, it may not always be comfortable. Since you are committing to serve sometimes you have to make sacrifices with your time. There were a lot of times that it was hard to make it to church on Wednesday nights...but the reward was always greater than the cost.

Oh also, if you and Neal can commit to serve together it is even better!